03 May Health & Fitness myths DEBUNKED
Posted at 23:38h in Health and Nutrition
We are bombarded every day with new information about fitness crazes, diet fads, health warnings and social media pages. Keep in mind these few helpful tips to help you debunk some of these myths:
- Muscle weighs more than fat – How could that be true if they both weigh the same? A pound is a pound no matter what. Muscle takes up less room in your body so one person may look leaner than another.
- Heavy weights will make you bulky – Flat out lie. Only heavy desserts, fried food and alcohol will do that.
- Mornings are the best time to exercise – says who? When you have time in your day, that’s the best time. Even if it’s only for 2o minutes. You’d be surprised what a good Tabata workout you can get in!
- The number on the scale is the most important – WRONG! Your blood pressure number and resting heart rate are much more important. Do you know yours? Download the ‘blood pressure’ app and find out! 120/80 is normal and 60-80 BPM for resting heart rate.
- You should exercise to get a ‘bikini body‘ – Um no. If you buy a bikini and wear it then you have a ‘bikini body’. What is that about anyway?
- Slow, steady state cardio is best – It’s good to shake it up every so often and add in HITT training! You will get more bang for your buck.
- One way of eating is the best way for everyone – WRONG! Different strokes for different folks. Don’t buy into the fad diets and popular crazes. Consult a nutritionist and get a professional to see what’s right for you! We all have different needs. Did you know you can call ‘dial a dietitian‘ free? How great is that!
- Running shoes don’t matter – Think again. You need to replace them every 6 months or suffer the pain of shin splints and sore knees.
- Crunches are best for flat abs – First of all, flat abs are overrated so get over it. A little piece of fat is something that most of us have and it can easily be hidden in some Spanx (HA!) Planks and bike rides are much more effective than crunches and involve less flexion of the spine.
- Finally….. the biggest myth – Bootcamp is only for the super fit people! – Are you kidding or WHAT? If that was true then there would be only 3 people in our classes at any given time and we’d go out of business! Don’t listen to that stupid voice in your head….. come and see for yourself why we were voted best bootcamp 13 years in a row! Sign up for your free class HERE . Stay tuned for more informative blog posts.. see you at class!