30 Apr The most important numbers you NEED to know!
Did you think I was going to say ‘the number on the scale?’ Think again! Although it is important to keep track of your weight (even just at the doctors office), it is MORE important to know the following numbers:
- Blood pressure : Normal BP is 120/80. What’s yours? You better find out. Go to shoppers drugs and use the BP machine. Write it down. High BP can be very dangerous and low BP can make you light headed. Please let your trainer know if you have either one. You can find out more info HERE
- Cholesterol Level: High levels of cholesterol are the major risk factor for heart disease, heart attack and stroke. Think this won’t happen to you? THINK AGAIN! Your total level should be under 200. Get checked, ask a doctor for a lab requisition. Find out more HERE
- Your Girth: What is that you say? Measure your belly over the belly button. For women if you are over 35 or over 40 for men (less for Asians) then you should be concerned. NOT because of wearing a silly bikini on the beach, but because you are at higher risk for heart attacks and strokes. Worth knowing about!
- Blood sugar : Have you ever tested your blood sugar? Are you over 40? Then GO CHECK. Ask a doctor for a lab requisition. This is a very important number to know because Diabetes is a huge epidemic. Find out more HERE
- And lastly, yes that number on the scale matters. Do a monthly check in to find out where you are. If you don’t want to weigh at home ask your doctor to check in at your visit. (If you don’t have a family doctor, get on top of that for goodness sake WOW)
The best treatment is knowledge and PREVENTION. Did you know that colon cancer is most preventable cancer ? That even a 5% weight loss can help ease your joint pain? That keeping your girth under the recommended measurements can prevent your chance of stroke by 40% ? Our bodies send us signals and we need to listen. So GO FIND OUT YOUR NUMBERS!!! Oh, and have a great day