11 Nov Work Burnout… time to recharge your battery!
Feeling burnt out at work? At home? In life? This happens to many of us and there are simple ways to tell if it’s happening to you! They are:
- Feeling tired all the time
- Not finding joy in things you used to enjoy
- Feeling irritable and snappy
- Reduced ability to concentrate
- Feelings of being overwhelmed
- Sore back or tightness in the shoulders/neck
These are just some of the signs that you may be experiencing some kind of burn out. Your body is sending you signs, so take them seriously. YOU hold the key to prevention!
Here are some things you can do to prevent this burn out:
- Don’t say ‘YES’ all the time! Start saying ‘No’ and setting some boundaries in your life. A ‘Yes person’ will burnout so much faster than someone who says No sometimes. It’s ok you know, the world won’t fall apart!
- Play. Do something you enjoy. Don’t know what you enjoy? What did you enjoy when you were 10 years old? What did you want to do with your life? That is what you have probably forgotten about. Think about it.
- Limit your Social Media time. It is ADDICTIVE (not your fault) and we can begin to ‘compare’ to others and become jealous. Take a break and limit it. Be mindful of what you, yourself post too. Unfollow those who make you feel crappy about yourself.
- Get your full 8 hours of sleep. Did you know 100 years ago the average sleep time was 9.5 hours? If you can… NAP and recharge that battery! (Yes I do it every day. I am a total Grandma LOL)
- Talk with people. Schedule face-to-face time. You will release some wonderful endorphins and get out of yourself and the ‘me me me ‘ trap.
- Don’t skip breakfast! EAT! And stop eating 12 hours before you eat breakfast. So if you get up and eat at 7am, your cutoff time should be 7pm. Give those poor organs a chance to fast and renew themselves. You don’t need to buy a ‘cleanse’ just do this each night and your organs will cleanse themselves. Some great tips from the Canada food guide HERE
- Limit Caffeine and stay away from sweets! You will get a ‘sugar high’ followed by a horrible low. Sucks to be an adult, I know!
- EXERCISE! If you are not exercising, start now. 30 min a day at least. Walk, bike, run, gym… WHATEVER just go for goodness sakes!
Remember, you are not alone! Schedule in some breaks, do things you enjoy and just say NO sometimes. Take care of yourself and ask for help! It’s ok to need help and reach out. Oh and in the meantime… DO SOME BURPEES!!!!